Enjoy this dreamy, melodic guitar solo in A minor! A dynamic solo and track that builds in intensity and groove!
When it comes to the art of finger tapping, I consider myself a beginner, but I’m always up for a challenge! This melodic tapping lick is an achievable lick in A minor, played over a G-chord (bar 56) to Am (bar 57). The lick uses the open G-string and a rhythm that speeds up throughout bar 56: first sixteenth notes (beats 1), then sixteenth note sextuplets (beats 2 & 3), then 32nd notes (beat 4).
About This Track
This melodic guitar solo is called ‘Lost In Thought‘, as it is inspired by how the mind races, brings us ideas, and ponders about possibilities. This track is primarily a 3-chord groove (Am7, Em7, Fmaj7) that builds in intensity and groove during the track. I play the intro with my Gibson ES-335 (with effects from the eventide H9 and the XLN Retro Color). While the groove builds, the solo starts with long notes that follow the chords. Part B is a short break, where I switch to the bridge pickup and add a fuzz (Fractal Audio Systems AX-8). This was also the only good place to reverse the tremolo bar on my guitar, for an effect that would follow later. Part C is the climax of the track and builds further on the chords of the intro and part A. After a fancy tapping lick ;-), Part D serves as a post-chorus where the strings bring the track home. Part E is a short outro with piano and erhu, a beautiful sound.
Gear Used (+affiliate links)
- Electrics: Gibson ES-335 (Intro), Suhr Modern Pro (Solo), Gruvgear Fretwrap SM
- Acoustics: Martin HD-R 16 (strums, harmonics)
- Effects: Eventide H9 (Blackhole), D16 Repeater (dotted delay), AX-8 Fuzz
- Piano: Waves Grand Rhapsody
- Strings/Erhu: East-West Hollywood Strings / Silk
- Bass: Spectrasonics Trilian
- Drums: Steven Slate Drums 5.5
- Mixed & mastered with plugins from Slate Digital, Plugin Alliance